Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Coming soon...Imagine revisited (with a sprinkling of sex)

My piece 'Imagine' for some inexplicable reason is very popular. Perhaps it's the sparsness of it, or how the deliberate short sentences and simple words force you stop and saviour. Usually there's so much going on in a sentence that before you have fully absorbed it, you move on to the next piece. So one must go back and re-read. But this wreaks havoc with the rhythmn.

I think there is more to writing then the actual words. That the rhythmn of what is written is just as important. Rhythmn is determined by the length of the sentences, the pauses, and the positioning of the colons and semicolons. Whenever I write something I always read it aloud to myself to hear how it sounds to my ears. I think you get a better sense of rhythmn when you read something out aloud.

So let's revisit 'Imagine' but this time with a bit of sex thrown in for good measure. I've never written heady, surreal and delicious sex scenes before so this should be fun.

So Imagine. Imagine a balcony. A balcony with a view...