Monday, April 13, 2009

Coming soon...Tierra Del Fuego

Magellan named it 'Tierra Del Fuego' because of the many campfires he saw dotted along its shores. Fed by continuous Antarctic winds the sea around Cape Horn bubbles and spits in an angry foamy morass. This is one of the harshest places on earth. This is the end of the world. I will go there. I can't help it - Ants in my pants. What me? Never!

Ihaveanitchyfeelinginmybum.com

'Among the scenes which are deeply impressed on my mind, none exceed in sublimity the primeval forests undefaced by the hand of man; whether those of Brazil, where the powers of Life are predominant, or those of Tierra del Fuego, where Death and Decay prevail. Both are temples filled with the varied productions of the God of Nature: no one can stand in these solitudes unmoved, and not feel that there is more in man than the mere breath of his body'

(Journal 'Voyage around the world' 1839)