Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The Vexed Spirit

Sunlight infused the sky like Peking tea in a blue China cup. I watched the colours of the world steadily dissolve in time. A steely orange glow; the last remnant of today, skirted along the horizons edge - on either side threatened by the arc of encroaching velvet night; a velvet dimpled with starlight peeking through.

With rock as pillow and time my only boss, I watched the Milkyway mark trails on the surface of my eyeballs. Vast trails across my retina as the earth beneath me spun on its steady rhythmic course. The earth revolving unquestioningly - like a heartbeat. The wind rustled and shook the branches and even ruffled the stars causing them to blink. Did they stir? Did Newton's Laws vanish? My thoughts lay prone and my heart lay open: like winged solar panels to soak up the universe, gulp it in in-fact. If landscapes were canvases, they were conceived by a mind raised above the troubles that vex the human spirit. I'm just a living solar panel vexing in existence.

I ate by moonlight what would normally be described as a poor meal. A paupers dinner. Fit for an indigent king. Hunk of bread, olives and dried goat-milk curd for a palette deprived. Did I forget to mention coffee? A nasty brutish coffee - weak and feeble like Pluto the wench. This is the country that gave us the 'Kawa' and yet...

And yet the earth continues to revolve and I resolve to revolve too in my own 'e-centric' universe. I fall asleep to the murmur of stars and the steady blink-blink of the unimaginable. I dream of insects and trilobites and the steady tick tock of things untried in words or rhyme. I wake up dazed yet I saw no sun last night - only stars. And words. I must endeavour to write them down sometime.