Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Amazon Kindle (Generation 3) - Some Thoughts of Mine


My Kindle experience has been one of liberation.

Liberation from the irksome knowledge that I have hundreds of books that I still need to read - but due to the fact that I can't be bothered to dig them out, or don't know where they are, I can't get myself to read them. When one has so many book choices - which one does one read? The sheer 'not being able to decide' factor makes me innactive and stuns me into a psychological zone of bamboozled no action...the sheer weight of the task before me is so awesome in size and scope...so the books just sit there, gathering dust, waiting...waiting for the day when I will have the courage to brave the dust and the cobwebs, brave the 'falling over' of the piles of books...and pick one out - and read it...ignoring all the others looking at me imploringly - my babies.

...and then along comes the AmazonKindle ebook reader...my total number of books on the kindle now number over a thousand...and I feel much better.

Here is a little device that fits nicely in the palm of my hand, lithe, thin, light...and yet, underneath the bonnet there lyeth a formidable technological miracle. I can now read all those books and when I get bored with one, and feel like another that is less demanding, I can instantly bring up another. I have put them in folders marked 'currently reading', 'to read next', 'to read after next' and 'science' and 'others' (not very imaginative I know - but it does the trick). I can notarise them (write notes on the pages like I normally do) and the Kindle has a built in dictionary for those oh so difficult words.

I love it. It encourages me to read more - and that is the only thing I have to say about it!