Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Amazon Kindle - Some more thoughts...

As you can tell I am rather infatuated with this device! Yes, the Ipad v Kindle debate rages on the Internet forums. Yes the ipad is more technologically savvy. Yes the ipad can do much much more. But if it's an ebook reader you are after (and not a computer) - then the Kindle is the best out there. Oh yeah, for pure reading pleasure, for pure ease from eye-strain. For pure battery life. It is the best. Some people argue that it's user-interface is clunky. That it is not as 'techy' or 'cool' or 'savvy' as the ipad or even the SonyReader...but I think the user interface actually encourages a more thoughtful approach to your reading. It actually encourages you to SLOW DOWN. Nothing is instant. Nothing is of short pleasures. It encourages (how can I put it) you to get to know it. You build a relationship with it (not sexual) and it gets to know you.

You might think that I am being a bit of a freak. Maybe I am. Do I care? No. I have a cool burgundy red cover for it (£50.99 - expensive? Yes!) (with built in night-light - perfect for middle of the night readings of Bram Stokers Dracooooola), and as I stroll with it, on a sunny Saturday morning - it between my thumb and forefinger, towards my regular cafe haunt, I feel like I have real power in my finger tips. Knowledge is power. A veritable library of Alexandria. Oh! How Ptolemy would have swooned. Oh! How Montaigne would have marvelled at it. Oh! How Douglas Adam's would have said: "told you so". It really is that wonderful you know. 375 million years ago in the Devonian Epoch, our fishy ancestors crawled out of the shallow waters and stuck their heads out of the waters - and peered through the mist to look at the stars! - And now, here we are, 375 million years later - Homo Sapiens, and Me - A Wasim Shafi...goggle-eyed, and madly in love, with an ebook reader...

The universe is strange.
To live is amazing.
To be able to read is a miracle
And the Kindle...my new best friend!

Hahaha.


Misanthrope&Proud.com