Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The days go by just as days go by

"The day had gone by just as days go by. I had killed it in accordance with my primitive and retiring way of life" So begins Hermann Hess's 'Steppenwolf' - meditation on the modern human condition. Such words strike a stirring chord with me. My life is indeed quite 'primitive' and indeed 'retiring'. What day is it today? I don't know and nor does it matter. What difference does it make if I depart for somewhere on a Friday or on a Tuesday? The current Financial Crisis (Meltdown Monday), the US Presidential Elections, Gordon Brown's leadership woes, knife-crime in London, all but part of distant memories; dregs at the bottom of the memory flask.

Oh it's lovely here in Chiang Mai. I've been quite fortunate. I've managed to find a charming guest-house to stay in. It's brand new and only opened last week. It's design is inspired by classical Thai architecture fused with the Modern. Huge woodwork beams grace the interior; dark teak - sumptuous. Upstairs is a great breezy balcony area for reading, drinking or just loitering. Loitering I like that. There's an open kitchen where you can go and prepare food if you wish. It has a library and Wi-Fi. The bedrooms have cable TV, Air-Con, lovely cupboards, comfy beds, a rack of National Geographic's, and modern bathrooms with sumptuous towels and all mod cons. Yet, despite all these 'appliances of science' it still manages to look quaint, chic, rustic and reassuringly modern in equal measures. Actually the place feels more like a home to me and it has that ethos. In fact the owners, a charming Thai couple, admitted that they prefer 'quieter' guests who don't come in late and make a racket. I think they like me! A mouse going about 'killing' the day. Oh, and I'm the only one there! I have the whole place to myself! I can spend hours in the leafy garden reading or writing and not be disturbed. I can pop into town for a cold beer, a meal and some serious loitering if i so wish - and it's all within walking distance. I can hire a scooter if need be to get away from town; you know go for a day-trip to the villages - zooming down the narrow lanes; passing paddies, farmers and chugging tractors. I think I'm going to stay here for a while. I like it here. I'm also going to take pictures of Hanibaah Guest House; the exterior, the lounge, the kitchen, the bathrooms, my bedroom and post them here so you can look and die pickle-pink of envy! Oh and I'll also post a pic of me with a big smile on my face just in case you don't believe me! A big big smile. A smile so big and w i d e you'll want to hit it with your slippers.