Sunday, February 22, 2009

The story of an image



I took this fotograf on my way to the ancient city of Fatehpur Sikri in India. I remember the moment clearly. I was sitting in the front seat of the bus with my camera in my lap feverishly snapping away. It was a hot dusty day, the window was down and my lungs were drowning in dust. And then this open-backed vehicle appeared up ahead. The boys were evidently on their way somewhere to make a delivery; though why you would need so many of them is any one's guess! You could probably make up a little story about them. Anyway, I remember they were looking at me, intrigued by me; me being this 'feranji' sitting in the front of the bus snapping away like a madman! I waved at them in a friendly sort of way and they returned the compliment by waving back and then one of them (you can see his head between the bodies if you click on the image) stuck his head out and made a funny face (or perhaps that is his normal face). Anyway, at that exact moment a group of girls appeared into view so that was my cue to take a shot. I think the image works well. There is a symmetry to it and a comic element. A lot of fotografy is about what 'Henri Cartier Bresson' called 'the decisive moment'. I'd hate to be in that truck though. Looks most uncomfortable!