Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The story of an image



Foto grafy is a game of patience. A game you play with yourself. That's all it takes really, patience. You have to spend hours waiting for the 'decisive moment' where the elements in the frame all come together to complete the image. In the case of this image I'd been waiting at the T-junction for about two hours. I'm usually very patient and more than happy to lounge on the pavements edge watching the wheels and the world go by. I remember that it'd been raining heavily that day and though I was wearing my poncho, I was still feeling wet and cold. The sky was gray overcast and the clouds were looking menacing in the distance. I'd taken some shots earlier that day but I knew they were mediocre. I was on the verge of giving up when, thanks to Providence, this lady appeared. I saw her shuffling towards me in the far distance so I got into position and waited. Luckily there was nobody else in the frame when I took the shot. You know what they say don't you: fortune favours the patient - and, might I add, the wet and the cold and the miserable!